Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermex - what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOM

Chemical
Oct 16, 2001
AU
Last month a chemical manufacturing plant in the UK suffered a leak of "Thermex gas". It's said to be an irritant that smells like geraniums. Does anyone know its chemical name or formula and what its uses are?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JOM,

the incident you are referring to happened at the Wilton International site on Teesside on 12/24/01. The gas came from a heat transfer fluid called "Thermex". Below is a link to it's MSDS.

I hope this answers your questions. You may wish to subscribe to SAFTENG's Serious Incident ALerts so that you can stay up-to-date on serious industrial accidents around the world. The service is FREE and your name/e-mail will never be sold or given to anyone.

Bryan Haywood

Thanks Bryan.

Actually, your incident updates is where I read of the affair. I already subscribe to your service and recommend it.

I've read about events there that occurred in my own country -Australia - that are not reported locally! Actually, I'm failrly staggerred by the number of very serious process plant incidents that get no mainstream media coverage at all.

For instance, just before Christmas - a spillage of 58,000 gallons of anhydrous ammonia into the DeMoines River, Iowa that caused the worst fish kill in US history. Not a word of that in our press.

John.

Thanks for the kind words John. What you said is the EXACT reason I started this FREE service to anyone that is interested. After spending 10 years in the Chemical Process Industry, I became so frustrated with management and engineers saying "yeah, but what's the likelihood of that really happening?" that without proof that these types of accidents literally happen EVERY SINGLE DAY, it is hard to believe. Having these accidents in our hip pockets help keep us motivated as safety professionals and just may open some other eyes as well. Thanks again for your kind words.

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back