Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermocouple Cold Junction Compensation Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jericho93

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2017
GB
Hello,

I am working with control instrumentation for the first time and I am looking into Type K Thermocouples.

My question is this, I understand the need for cold junction compensation - am I correct in assuming that I can use a RTD to measure to measure the temperature at the cold reference junction, and that it is ok for the temperature at the terminals of the cold reference junction to go up and down (together), and that this won't have a negative impact on the readings from the hot end of the thermocouples.

Thanks a bunch

Jericho.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Seeing is believing. I did not think that there was a commercial thermocouple AI card that did not have internal CJ as a standard feature in this day and age. Yet, here it is.

What a pain to not only have to supply a CJ sensor for each 4 channel card but to have to position the sensor for a decent CJ reading.

I'd probably opt for small diameter 2 wire Pt100's. The connections are so close to where the measurement needs to be made that the lead wire error will be insignificant.

And it appears that one gets to use all four input channels for thermocouples, when using the 2 wire RTD option (across EXO+ and EXO- in the graphic below).

2_wire_Pt100_for_CJ_and_four_T_Cs_per_card.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back