Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thermoformed tray design in SW 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBD

Bioengineer
Jan 26, 2007
US
Is there a good tutorial available for doing thermoformed tray design in SW?

I'm playing around with using the indent and deform tools as well as some surfacing tricks. However, if someone has a methodology they'd like to share, I'm all ears. I tried searching this forum and Google and didn't find much. I can't search youtube at work, but I'll try at home and see if there are any videos that address this topic.

Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like I should model the parts to be packaged as dummy parts that are completely solid (no voids, etc).

Thanks for the help!
-Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've designed a few of these. My normal workflow is to start with a solid block to simulate the extents of the tray. I then create a single cut feature that will nest the product the tray is for, pattern as required. I then apply radii as required to the cut features. Lastly I flip the model over and use the Shell command. Works great for transport trays and the like.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Shell! I need to remember that these functions exist. A star for you. That sounds a lot simpler and probably ends up with a better result than what I was thinking.

I'll amend my previous post and say that radii should be applied prior to patterning, then shell it.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Don't forget about the shrinkage . . .
Draft and pull are also important. If you want interlocking, check with the vendor on the design of these critical features.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2008 SP4
Nvidia Quadro FX 1000
AMD Athalon 1.8 GHz 2 Gig RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back