Thermoset vs Thermoplastic insulation stripping tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblsss

Electrical
Nov 7, 2013
IL
Dear all,

In an attempt to install some THHN cables we damaged two of our cable stripping tools.
These tools were previously succesfully used for similar works on building cables with thermoplastic PVC insulation rated for 70 deg Celsius.

Αs the root cause of the tools damage, apart from bad manufacturing quality, I consider either the layer of nylon over the PVC insulation of the THHN wire or the rating of the PVC insulation (90 deg Celsius) which would require a hardening of the PVC material.

I have never encountered cable stripping tools categories based on the nature of the insulation material, thermoplastic or thermosetting.
How can I choose the best tool depending on the application?
If so, would a cable stripping tool for thermosetting insulation work for the THHN wire?

Thank you in advance,

George

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two possibilities come to mind;
The tools were used improperly, possibly set for the wrong size cable.
The tools are DIY junk that should never be on a professional jobsite.
can you post a picture of the tools or a part number?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

@waross

The first possibility may be the answer i was looking for since in europe we are not used to awg/kcmil units for conductor csa ...
The tools are not of high quality but they must have performed well in the past since we didn't have any complaints!

Regards,

George

Another possibility may rest with the thermo-set rather than the nylon jacket.
Some manufacturing processes leave the thermo-set tightly bonded to the copper.
A bad batch may need to be stripped with a knife and then scraped clean.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Check if the nylon jacket's and the ambient temperature, particularly during cold weather has any negative impact on the cable stripping blades.

There is various cable insulation formulation that impacts the cable stiffener. THHN/THWN-2 is a thermoplastic product, and It uses thinner PVC insulation and is less flexible at cold temperatures. On the other hand, XHHW-2 is a thermoset (XLPE) with a minimum ambient temperature rated for -10° C and -40° C respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back