Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thermosyphon Reboiler Simulation in Hysys 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

process2318

Chemical
Apr 6, 2008
I would like a confirmation for the procedure to model a thermosyphon reboiler attached to a distillation column.

I remember the procedure I used was to define a side stripper or a separator with one theoretical tray (tray N+1) and an energy stream (representing the bottom duty), net liquid from the column bottom tray (tray N) feeds tray N+1, liquid from tray N+1 feeds tray N, vapour stream from tray N+1 feeds tray N-1, a vapour feed stream with zero flowrate feeds tray N+1. The addition of this unit operation generates a freedom degree to the simulation and a new specification is required.

I will appreciate your help in the confirmation of this procedure and what should be the specification. I got this procedure in my engineering notes, but I have no access to it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There´s an easier procedure without adding side stripper. It is as follows:

1-Start with a standard converged column with kettle reboiler
2-Enter the column environment. In the reboiler view change bottoms outlet to a new stream that you can name e.g "Liquid to Column"
3-In tray section change the vapor inlet from "Boilup" (vapor from kettle) to the new stream ("liquid to column").
4-Reattach "boilup" to the column in the proper stage
5-Create a side draw in the column from the bottom tray.

As you said you will need a new spec. Options could be recirculation rate, reboiler outlet temp, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back