Thesis Ideas References?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis_intano

Structural
Sep 29, 2021
PH
Good day everyone!

I'm doing a write up for what would be my ideas for thesis, and can you refer me to which journal/s I can look into for better ideas and maybe reference them later on. My field of interests have been liquid-retaining concrete structures, steel connections, and concrete anchors. In regards with anchors and connections I can look up to AISC and RSCS for their papers but I'm also looking for additional journals to look into. What I'm lost now would be where to look for liquid-retaining structures. Also, I'm open to any ideas that you may suggest if you think it would be easier to research on that topic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sound corny I know, but I start with scholar.google.com. It gives a pretty good big-picture of what has been done so far for a specific topic. Find some of the major new papers on the topic and look at the references lists. Then you're off to the races.

For steel, a lot of research ends up in the Journal of Constructional Steel Research. Lots in the ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering. There are many others.

Once you get into liquid-retaining structures, you run into seismic loading of them.
One issue I never have seen addressed is that the normal seismic load analysis assumes motion in one direction for analysis.
But if you take a cup of coffee and swirl the cup around, you can make the coffee spin, which is not an effect ever considered in that analysis.
Basically, if the impulsive action in one direction is synced with the sloshing wave in the other direction, you can get that rotation.
So is that a significant effect in real structures? And is the damping any lower for that kind of motion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back