Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thickness measurement of swage concentric nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpm21443

Industrial
Dec 20, 2012
KW
I have given swage concentric nipple 1/2 x 1/4 inches to third party inspection for inspection. We need thickness measurement by pulse echo method as per E797, but inspection agency & the stockiest are saying that they will use dial caliper (which has a least count of 0.05 mm) instead of pulse echo method to measure the thickness. As per them, pulse echo method cannot be done on the finished products because of the roughness of the surfaces, different angles & radian which are naturally occurring in the nipples mentioned above. AS PER THEM, PULSE ECHO METHOD E797 IS SUITABLE FOR FLAT FITTINGS ONLY.

I request suggestions

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What they say may be true for the basic E797 method, but there is equipment, probes, and methods out there that will work on small diameter and irregular surfaces.
Ask them how they are going to measure the wall in the transition. You could put it on a CMM and take the difference between the outside and inside, but not with calipers.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

They informed that they have the capability to measure with caliper only. Could you please suggest if we can use Ultrasonic thickens measurement by D meter as an alternative to pulse echo method. If this is OK, I can inform them to do that. Please send your valuable advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back