Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thickness measurement standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

monirri

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2006
CO
Hi. I purchased some bargain thickness measurement devices. In this point, I need to train someone to use them and, most importantly, know the standards involved. Which standards apply to minimum wall thickness of structural steel, pipe, pressure vessel, etc? I know naval industry uses insurance standards, and I have some of the books. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very vague- hard pressed to get any answers to that. What thickness measurement devices? What are some descriptions of the structures etc. that you are going to inspect and where?

you should give these people a call for recommendations of a calibration block for what you are going to use the thickness gages.

Make sure you tell them if you are going to measure a wide range of materials and thicknesses.

If the thickness are not going to be in some certification you can get one traceable step block and then make your own depending on the accuracy and repeatability required.

I have dakota ultrasonics and the dm4 ultrasonic thickness measuring device. I have calibration blocks. I was hoping for an answer like, for example:

Structural steel: ASME B999.9 (example: old thermoelectrical plant boilers being supported by an steel structure)
Pressure vessel: ASME section XXX Appendix zz , etc. (example: the wall thickness of pipe walls in aquatubular boiler)

I mean, there must be standards for minimum thickness for every one of this? isn´t it?

I need Just a first guide. Thanks

And API-510 gives the calculation for minimum vessel thickness, API-570 gives it for pipe. NOTE: ignore the tiny result from 570 calc's, and use the recommended minimum thickness table in the back of 570. The governing stress for pipe pipe wall thickness is the span, not the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back