Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thickness of spade less than pipe class requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike mufdi

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2020
AE
As we are approaching commissioning of the oil plant, use of blinds, and spades will be needed to provide double isolation (spade after valve) . in some locations the lines are tight with very heavy wall thikness making it almost impossible to insert a temp spade with thickness to match the line class. since in theory these spades will not see the actual working pressure, is there anything in the Shell DEP or ASME B31.3 that allows using thinner spades in this situation ?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that I'm aware of.

The piping should allow for these as spectacle blinds.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I would say the spades need to be designed to the pipeline design pressure not the working pressure. Things could go wrong and the pressure can get up to design pressure. (e.g safety valve set pressure)

Also consider a bleed valve on the edge of the spade so you can relive the pressure between the valve and spade when it comes time take the spade out.

Generally I would not allow this to happen, What we are worried about are few locations that are challenging in terms of providing the space for these spades due to the very heavy wall thickness and the configuration of the spools, these spades will be used mainly during commissioning stage and are not permanent material, I was asking if I can depend on any code or standard to help me take the decision of allowing the contractor to use thinner spades .

There should be no difference in any respect just because this is commissioning.

Don't start to use the "it's not permanent" argument. It just won't wash if anything goes wrong.

It's either compliant with the requirements or it isn't.

There is always another way, just people try to find short cuts.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch said:
There should be no difference in any respect just because this is commissioning.

Don't start to use the "it's not permanent" argument. It just won't wash if anything goes wrong.

It's either compliant with the requirements or it isn't.

There is always another way, just people try to find short cuts.
yes you are right in this, I gave my response as not allowing, contractor to follow code requirements ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back