Thickness rage ASME IX and B31.3 WPS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZWelder

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2021
AU
Hello everyone,

My question is about thickness rage on WPS. If I qualify a PQR on pipe with wall thickness of 10.97mm. The PQR is qualified to ASME IX and the actual job is ASME B31.3. And impact testing was required CVN apply.

According to ASME IX my thickness rage is 10.97mm to 21.96mm but to ASME B31.3 thickness rage is 5.48mm to 16.97mm

The WPS is able to be use for pipe wall thickness of 5.48mm if the pipe spool is B31.3 or 10.97 minimum?

thank you all in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you SmartWeld.
After reading the post from the link you gave me. I understand it that because the production welds I am doing are to ASME B31.3 the thickness limits of B31.3 (1/2 T to T +6mm) apply and NOT the ASME IX limits of T to Tx2.

OZWelder,
What edition of B31.3 are you using ?
Table 323.3.1 was changed in the 2020 edition so the T/2 to T + 6 mm is no longer applicable.
Thickness ranges of ASME IX now apply.

If you are interested Walt Sperko is travelling to Australia in November to deliver a course on ASME IX for Weld Australia.
Highly recommended,
Cheers,
Shane

Good morning Dekdee,

Thank you very much for this. I will be using ASME IX 2020 and B31.3 I think is 2019 or 2020 as well. So there for you say the thickness range is T to 2T? Ok I will have to adjust on my end. Thanks.

I would be very very interested in the ASME IX presentation,I am a weld Australia member so I will ask them about this.

Thank you

It seems very expensive but I think it is difficult to criticise the cost.
Walt would be considered the worlds foremost expert on ASME IX - what he doesn't know would fit on a postage stamp.
Air fares from USA, Accommodation, Meals, Payment for delivering the seminar, Incidentals etc.
Just those costs would be pretty high before Weld Australia's profit margin comes into it.
Very hard to put something on like this unless you know - 4 participants or 40 ?

Dekdee, I completely agree no criticism at all intended. A man with this sort of knowledge deserves to be paid accordingly 100%.

If they knew they would get 200 people at each of the seminars then the price could be reduced, however something like this in Perth would not attract that sort of a crowed.

I would have loved to attend but unless the company you work for pay some of the fee it’s a bit hard. As the entry fee is 3 times my weekly pay. Plus the loss of pay for attending.

And it’s not a course where you end up with some sort of ASME accreditation like doing CWI or IWT, so would not be able to add to my certificates to obtain a better job, only for self knowledge. Would be great to be in a position to attend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back