Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thickness Transitios in Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

chili

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Ok you pressure vessel experts out there. I have a good one for you.

Section VIII, Div. 1, Figure UW-13.4 shows typical transition details for attaching nozzles to piping of lesser wall thickness. In both sketches, it shows a 1/4" minimum radius at the angle intersections. Is this setting a precedent for all transitions? Is there any other place in The Code where transition radii are specified?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Chili

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My section VIII copy was given to my town's library but looking at my power piping code and section I power boiler code,I am noting that the inside radius you are refering is for extruded outlet connections and forged steel nozzle connections, so my question is the nozzle connection in section VIII forged steel? With extrusion and forging, it is undesirable to have sharp corners.

Thanks for responding chicopee.

The attachments I was concerned about are indeed forgings but they are machined for each specific application/attachment. My concern was that it appeared to me that The Code was now specifying that a minimum 1/4" radius was required for all transitions. I visited with our AI yesterday about this and he tells me that Figure UW-13.4 is referring only to a weld prep and that I am not to worry about it.

Thanks again and have a great day!

I don't read Fig UW-13.4 as applying to a weld prep. It clearly shows the radius at the intersection of 2 transitions in thickness. Just good practice, reducing stress risers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back