Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thin Feature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesman0007

Mechanical
May 21, 2003
US
Stumped, I'm trying to make a part that resembles a shallow bowl and when I revolve the sketch it automatically selects thin feature. Now I get what appears correct until I cut a hole and I can see that it is indeed thin-walled. I can't uncheck the thin feature anyone know why with this limited amount of info

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure your sketch is closed before you revolve. Otherwise Solidworks will assume it is a thin feature. Double check your sketch.

Good luck.

jevakil@mapdi.com

One nuclear bomb can ruin your whole day.

One silly thing I often forget when making a revolve: the centerline used as an axis does not count as far as closing the geometry!
[hammer] When will I learn! If you are closing the section along the axis, you will need to draw a second line and make it collinear with the centerline. Don't forget to strecth the ends of the centerline beyond the limits of your section so you don't lose track of it!

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

The other thing you can do is while still in the dialog box just deselect the thin feature solidworks will then prompt you if you want to automaticly close the drawing. For the parts that you have revolved without unckecking the thin box just delete the feature and rerevolve it and uncheck the thin feture box.

Hope this helps out some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back