Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Thin film coatings for silicon nitride / carbide bricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungPlantEng

Chemical
Jan 19, 2022
US
Our process has an issue with moisture formation during process cycling that causes moisture injection into the silicon carbide brick of an upper quench tower. OEM seems pretty okay with our awful rebuild frequencies since they get paid for it but I was wondering about the use of coatings before bedding the bricks as an environmental barrier coating.

Has this been done before or are there any applicable standards/studies on it? I’ve seen EBCs more commonly used/studied for SiC turbine components but can’t for the life of me find any literature on quench towers, especially for this service (hot sulfurous gases in a co-current quench).

Also if Cerablak rings a bell for anyone that was one of the companies I’ve been communicating with. Praxair and Ultramet also have some systems but once again they seem specific to turbine units.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unifrax coatings?

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back