Thinking about pursuing an M.B.A. and want to seek help from employer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungProfessional

Industrial
Aug 16, 2010
US
Hello everybody,
I stumbled across this board a few weeks ago and have found the information on here to be of great wealth. I graduated with a B.S. two years ago and recently passed my E.I.T. examination. I have been working for an engineering firm that specializes in electrical engineering since I graduated. I am grateful for my recent successes, but I feel as if something is missing in my career.
As far back as I can remember, I have had high aspirations of being a well qualified, successful professional in an industry for which I am passionate. I am not sure if I am going to remain in my current job position for my entire life and have pondered the idea of pursuing an M.B.A. degree. I would like to ask the upper management of my company to see if they will help with the costs of my future education. While many people would not hesitate to ask this type of question, I am nervous because my plan is not related to our line of business. I may be granted management possibilities in the future with this company, but I do not want to make my employers believe that I am not loyal to engineering and that I will leave upon graduation.
I am seeking advice from anybody that can point me in the right direction. In the end, I feel that I will be happiest in a technical, business related field where the sky is the limit. Any help is greatly appreciated. It is nice to meet you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my line of work, it's not common for employers to pay for education not directly related to the industry.

Some employers will pay for a masters in engineering and for any other education relating to or directly benefiting the company. I suspect your company would conclude you do not desire to continue in engineering if you pursue an MBA.

The answer will always be "NO", unless you ask.

I was recently in the same position as yourself. I'm three years removed from graduating with a B.S. in civil engineering and recently completed an M.S. in Engineering Management. Initially when I started the program it was a dual degree (Eng Mngt/MBA). My company paid for most (90%) of the tuition for the Eng Mngt degree but would not continue paying tuition for the latter classes required to finish out the dual degree and obtain the MBA. My company is aware of my aspirations to obtain an MBA and several of our upper management guys have an MBA. Its just that my company doesn't value the MBA like other firms might and would only pay for an "engineering" degree. Its a shame though since the Engt Mngt degree has zero "engineering" topics and is pretty much a dressed down version of the MBA.

I would think that as long as your work (production) doesn't suffer, then your company would look at your goal (MBA) as a plus. If they expect to move you into a Project Management role one day, that MBA could help. Several of the MBA courses I took helped me to see things from a different perspective and see the company beyond just the engineering side.

I realize that this post may attract many a detractor who feel that the current MBA is watered down and not necessary for job growth/promotion/viability, but I'm going to leave that discussion for another thread. Knowledge never hurts.

Good luck in your endeavors.

In my view you need more experience before doing an MBA. Get your P.E. first. Get good at engineering before you try to expand or move into something else.

When I did my MBA I saw a few young kids, too young, too inexperienced studying it and thinking that the MBA was the best thing since sliced bread. They truly thought that after finishing the course they would be running a company within 6 months. In effect, they pushed themselves out of the market, they were either too overqualified or too inexperienced for most positions.

About the company paying for it, that is a conversation you will have to have with them, not here. Remember that they will only pay for all or part of it, they get something in return, so if your position is purely technical, why would they foot the expense?

They should have a policy about this. It is VERY common. Some employees request an agreement that if you leave before X years after getting the degree you pay them back.

You are not clear if you plan is to leave or to advice with your current employer.

If you start taking classes they will know about it either way. So there is no harm in asking.

It depends. Many employers offer tuition reimbursment. The rules vary on what types of degree programs you can pursue. Some will let you get a degree in basket weaving if you want to, while most (at least where I have worked) require that the degree be relevant to your job.

My guess is that if your company does not offer tution assistance then you are going to have a hard time convincing them to pay for your MBA unless they are planning to groom you for a management position.

I have seen too many MBA grad with little or no work experience coming in thinking they can solve the worlds problems in six months. That being said, listen to what others have said on this board and ask these questions.

1. Does your company offer tuition reimbursement?
2. Does it have to be relevant to your position?
3. Are there caveats for staying with the company for a period of time after the education?

You can be subtle about asking these questions. If you company is big enough, it should be in your HR booklet. You can casually ask someone in HR about Q2. If you ask your boss about Q1, he'll want to know what and why....be prepared and have an answer ready.

Good call to ask here first. Remember, at this stage in evolution, you are virtually guaranteed that someone else has been in your boat already.

drawn to design, designed to draw

Thank you all for your responses thus far. My company does have a tuition reimbursement plan, but it is rather small when compared to the cost of some masters programs I have priced (company pays around $2,000 per year whereas the programs run around $20k/year depending on how much you do per year). My direct supervisor mentioned to me in the past that he would speak to higher individuals regarding a better plan for anybody who is interested within our division. However, he may/may not have meant I could seek a business degree.
The company that I work for is a great outfit. They provide well for their employees and the management is down-to-earth. I did not expect a direct "yes" or "no" by posting on this site, but rather a guide as to whether or not I should ask for help in obtaining a business related degree while working in engineering. I realize that these are tough times for our country, and with my financial obligations I do not want to jeopardize my employment.

I would also like to add that I am aware that I will most likely need to sign a contract with my employer for a certain amount of time provided they agree to give assistance. I am willing to go under contract. Will I stay with the company upon completion of the contract? I am not sure at the moment. I am just simply seeking to open doors for when that time arrives.

It sounds like it really depends on if they think a business degree is worth the money. Perhaps you could slyly find out if any of the upper ups have one. That could tell you if they may think it is a good idea. If they do, then it would be up to if they thought it was right for them to have you get one.

As far back as I can remember, I have had high aspirations of being a well qualified, successful professional in an industry for which I am passionate.
Apparently excelling in your field of work is not the favored path. Might as well get the MBA, you already have the disease that goes along with it.

I have been in a similar situation trying to get an MBA.

I was working as an automotive engineer, so the companies tuiton reimbursement covered the usual Master's in engineering curriculum's. They also covered a masters in Engineering management. But not an MBA. I negotiated, explaining the benefits (and similarities to a masters in engineering management), and although they were not willing to pay for the entire thing, they offered to pay for half.

Try to have a good reason for pursuing an MBA when you go to them. Meaning, try to relate it to your current job.

My current employer (another automotive engineering company) pays for everything, and even encourages MBA's. So it all depends on where you work.

Youngprefessional,
If you don't mind being under contract; then you might suggest this>

I went through my MBA with a "Forgivable Loan". Keeping a minimum GPA set by the company, they paid my tuition under loan agreement so that it was not taxed as income.

Then, 1/4 of the loan was forgiven for every year I worked for after graduation. If I left or got myself fired during that four year period, I was responsible for payment of the loan under the agreed terms. After the four years, the loan was completely forgiven.

During that time, I was promoted three times, up to Director of Engineering.

And then I quit.

Charlie

I think FACS (Charlie) has the right idea. You have to offer the company a return on their investment which in his case was a 2:1 deal. He basically agreed that they would get 2 years of work out of him for every year of schooling they paid for under penalty of pro-rated repayment.

It is up to the company to see that the person they invested in is put in a position to use their newly gained educated or risk losing them once the terms are met, or even sooner if a higher paying job presents itself. A new employer who is substantially interested in the experienced MBA grad would often times not think twice about paying off the "penalty" portion remaining for him if they wanted to get the right person right now. It would not be unlike a "signing bonus" that is hardly unusual in positions requiring masters degrees or a PhD.

I've been also more or less in the same situation, but not is USA.
I was deployed as expat in the position of Head of Engineering in one of my former company factories. After 2 years on the job, I decided to go for MBA. I knew that in our HQ there was a tuition program for some selected staff where if they wanted they could go for a MBA providing that they stay for 3 years after completion. The answer that I got from the general manager of the factory where I was deployed was:"Yes, back in HQ we do have that program, but here no. If you want to pursue a MBA you can do it providing that your work performance isn't affected". I completed my MBA with a significant personal effort. What I can tell you is gladly I did it by myself. Like taht I didn't have to comply with the 3 year rule and I was able to land in another job with a 30% salary increase.
This is just to say that if you feel that a MBA will propel your career you go for it, if you have economical and personal conditions to do it.
Now, I agree with other's oppinions that you might be too green for a MBA. If I was you, I would let pass at least 2 or 3 more years to think about and save some money for it. When I went for it I had 7 years experience and 3 in a management role.

frv (Structural) 16 Aug 10 13:35
In my line of work, it's not common for employers to pay for education not directly related to the industry.

You don't work for an EPC do you? ;)

Hi,
I faced a kind of similar situation about 5 years ago. At that time, I just completed one year of work for an oil & gas company (which I joined after a MSc), and I was in a hury to look already for additional degree. Thankfully the destiny apologized me for my behaviour and ignorance and I had the chance to continue on an Engineering path within a great company.

Today I after I gained some further year of experience even through modest, I realized that theses reactions or aspirations I had at this period of my life were a kind of cognitive distorsion between the hard reality of the real world and what the university did not prepare me for.

This hard reality is how much it require tremendous efforts and tons of patience to build our growth and develop skills. There is a great personal price to pay to grow in Engineering.
Looking back, I think the best approach would have been to be patient, to listen, to observe and to learn and keeping this posture for a consistent number of years.

Leaderships and Managerial skills can be build on top of this basis. At this stage I guess an MBA (which I dont have) could be profitable and you could become a great asset for a company. But honestly after discovering all the personal satisfaction and rewards of engineering role, I will not leave if for management role. I will just try to catch some leaderships skills to stay in harmony with my company mindset and growth culture.

I am happy to read the profitable post of the others.

Regards

Although I never think more education is a bad thing, I would not jump into the MBA knowing your experience level as others have stated. Focus on becoming a well-rounded, knowledgeable and technically sound engineer and get your PE. Your engineering knowledge is likely to get you farther in your career than business education, which you can learn on the job.

Maybe in a few years, once you have your PE, then if you have the itch, scratch it. You seem too green to be bolting from a profession you just spent the last 7 years or so working towards. You may also want to look into some type of engineering management degree, it may require less course load and be enough business classes for what you want. Now a PE with a MS Engineering Management and say 8-10 years of experience, that sounds about right...

The owners of my first two companies only had BS degrees but were excellent engineers from on the job training and pretty good business people also. Made more doing engineering than anyone with an MBA that I know.

FWIW I thought about a MS Eng or MBA or something right out of college and at other points in my early career. That desire went away until recently I moved for a new job and my office is a mile from a major, well respected university. So after talking with my wife and parents who both said go for it, I went to my boss to say I want to apply for grad school in Construction Engineering and Management, which is more or less related to my field. He said as long as it does not interfere with your job go for it, and they are flexible for leaving for day classes and things like that. I did not and will not ask for tuition reimbursement, but I am fortunate to have pretty cheap in-state tuition and my bosses are taking care of me, so I did not want to seem like I was nickel and diming them. And I don't want to have any feelings that I owe them if you know what I mean, well, anymore than I may already.

My point is its never too late so don't worry about that, I'm 36 and the timing is perfect right now for me. My mom started going back to school when I was about 12 or so and finished when I was a junior in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back