Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thinking of doing an LLB (Law degree). Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col

Civil/Environmental
Sep 6, 2001
IE
Hi
I am a graduate civil engineer with one year experience. My current work is not exactly what I envisaged leaving college so I am thinking of taking a new direction. Any thoughts on Law coupled with engineering?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I remember that my professors said that an engineer would be a likely candidate for getting a law degree. I would think that patent law would be something of interest. Having a law degree would also be handy on your resume and might lead you where you would prefer to work. Best of luck :)

JeffdlS

I agree with JEFFDIS. An engineering student certainly has the techincal or logical and mathematical background necessary to cut through the details in the legal field.

Patent law is certainly an option, but I would think better for a mechanical engineer or similar type. The construction industry is another option. There are ample opportunities to practice in construction claim mitigation and other aspects. Also, don't rule out corporate law as our company (rather large) employs a large staff of corporate lawyers one or two have a civil engineering degree.

Good Luck.

To become a US Patent Lawyer one must have an engineering degree. (This could be why the only lawyers I like are patent lawyers.) However, to become a patent lawyer on must also do a 2-3yr internship at the patent office in DC. A long row to hoe but I beleive well worth it.

I was faced with the same decision when I way at your stage in my career. I sat down and had a long talk with a 70-year-old neighbor who was a retired lawyer. We came to the conclusion that the decision should really be made on your interests in life.

I became an engineer because I like to be involved in building things. As a lawyer your main concern will be not to win in court but not to lose. The best way not to lose is to never go to court. The best way not to go to court is to never allow any project to get off the ground. Lawyers do this by throwing up one objection after another as to why things cannot happen and thus justify their existence by saying that they are protecting their client’s best interests. My old friend stated this to me and I have seen it first hand since.

If you want to go to law school for a total change in career direction, say criminal law or something else not directly related to engineering business then go for it. Your engineering trained mind will be good preparation for this sort of work.

If you want a law degree to work in the business of engineering at a higher level then I suggest you consider MBA school. You will learn things like accounting, finance, HR management that will help you in the management of an engineering business. You will also learn some practical law to assist you in keeping out of trouble and to help you understand the lawyers. The MBA will have both some math-based work and written and verbal communication while the law degree would be completely written and verbal communication. The MBA will hone your business presentation skills more than the law degree.

My MBA program started off 1/2 engineering and hard science types and ended up about 2/3 of the graduates were engineers. We had a lower attrition rate than the arts types. (We could learn to write but they struggled with the math throughout the program)

What made the decision for me was the realization that as a lawyer I would have to spend time with other lawyers. I picked the MBA route and have never regretted it.

Hope this helps.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back