Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

esfr

Structural
Oct 10, 2007
US
random question, but i'm wondering if there's a good way to partition an entity, say a sketch entity like a line, into thirds. rather than placing a point at a dimensioned distance 1/3 along the line, i'd like to make a relation between the point and the line, such that even as the line is lengthened or shortened, the point will update to remain at the 1/3 marker... just like a midpoint does. is there any way to do such a thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sounds like Equations will work here. Create a dimension for the overall length. Then create a dimension for the shorter line. Make the dimension of the shorter line equal to one third the overall length using Equations.

Split the line at two places, then apply an Equal constraint on the line segments.

[cheers]

... the overall length of the line being controlled by a single end to end dimension.

[cheers]

... how about dividing the line into 8 or 16 or whatever, is there an in-built command to divide a line into n-elements?

Nessions, there is no built-in command for that.

Could someone explain the use of a multi-segmented, collinear sketch line? I can't think of a situation that I have or would use one in.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

esfr and nsessions ...

If you explain your goals, we may be able to offer a better or easier way to accomplish them.

[cheers]

There is the "split entities" command in the sketch toolbar. Allows you to split a line, spline, arc, etc. and then you can use a dimension to control the thickness. Like CBL mentioned above.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

For my purposes, the "equal" constraint is all I needed... just needed to be reminded cause it's the one constraint I'd forgotten about and never used!

For a simple application, consider constructing a window with 3 panes of glass horizontally, so 2 vertical supports equally spaced at 1/3 and 2/3rds along the overwall width. Instead of positioning these with absolute dimensions, an equal constraint can be applied to 3 colinear line segments... so that the overall width of the window can later be changed without affecting this relationship of thirds. Is there an easier way?

I would insert the single window model into a new assembly, then use a Component Pattern>Linear Pattern as required, but that's just me. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Are there other ways ... yes.
Are there better or easier ways ... debatable.

You could use a linear pattern of the vertical supports. An equation could be used to calculate the pattern spacing.
The Sill Length, Vertical Spacing and Qty of verticals can be read into the equation editor and be manipulated accordingly.

A Design Table could also be used.

[cheers]

I would also use linear pattern and/or equations.
To break up a line into equal pieces, you would have to adjust the line if you want to move the panels. Extra steps IMO.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 1.1
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back