Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thread assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnsysNewUser

Aerospace
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi, all

Here I am re-posting the question I posted in Pro/MEchanica Forum.

I need to get the stress on the teeth of a pair of threads(one part is similar to a bolt, the other like a nut) , to see if the teeth will fail under an axial load. We have the theoretical value, and want to get a FEA value in Pro/Mechanica. my question here is:

how can I make the assembly so that the teeth from the two parts "bite" each other as they should be. In 2D drawing any pair of teech should share one common line like
. .....
. . .
. . ......
.. .....

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Anny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

To mate the leading edge of the nut thread onto the bolt thread, you will need to align the nut onto the bolt so that it can only move up and down the shaft. You then add a tangent constraint in the assembly and pick the leading thread surface of the nut and select the corresponding thread surface of the bolt.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Thanks a lot to Peter and onlyadrafter for the suggestions!

I used helical sweep to creat the thread, which works very well. In assembly, first I align the two axis, then I use Tangent to make the teeth surface match togather(as onlyadrafter suggested), but it shows it is a invalid constraint.

By the way, I am using Wildfire.

Thanks again.Have a good holiday season.

Anny

Hello,

I managed to create invalid constraints. I think I did it by picking the wrong side of the thread. Is this waht you have done?

You may just have to play around with the surface selection.
I recommend deleting the constraint and restarting it, if it fails.

I am using 2001.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back