Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread Callouts for Hole Wizard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebroyles

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2010
US
Hi all,

I have been looking around on the forum and I wasn't able to find anything really definative to answer my question. I was curious if there is a type of setting or toggle I could change to show the Hole Wizard Size (Under Hole Specifications) as decimal instead of fractional. I know it is possible to create a hole wizard standard. But I am not sure if that is the route to take and or if that will give me the results I am looking for.

I am using Solid Works Premium 2010, SP4.0.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ebroyles,
Which part of the callout are you looking to get in decimal? Under your 'Hole Type' tab is the option to choose your standard. ISO and ANSI should be default options and your company may have created their own. Any of those three are most likely what you'd want your print to read being that it is what fabrication is used to seeing, however; there is a manual change.
Hole Wizard drives the callout into the drw. If you dim the threading, shown as a hidden line, and leave it highlighted you can choose the 'other' tab (Located in your model tree) and check mark the 'override units' box and go from there.
Per being able to visually see this callout in decimal vs fractional you may be out of luck. If it's a metric callout you want the first callout to be decimal and english to be fractional. That's standard to my understanding. Hope that helps.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=98ef5048-d6c4-4563-bc15-efebb1eb18ab&file=1.bmp
AnnaWood,

We have recently begun migration from NX5 to solid works. This is the system that everyone is accustom to. They would very much prefer to have the same setup. In NX you manually put in the correct decimal size compared to Standard drop down sizes that Solidworks offers. It is merely a preffered method because we callout our threading on drawings that way.

ex. .190-24UNC-2B

So it would be prefered to have the modeling side reflect the drawfting side.

Mr Ebroyles I really disagree with your way of calling out threads. It's not either ansi or iso correct.Being a tool maker for more than 30 years, more than once that has bitten me in the butt. Especially on the small -6,-8,-10 tapped holes. The correct way to call out thds,where everyone can understand and not get confused, is --
Drill #7(.201) .50 dp
Tap 1/4-20 UNC 2B .40 dp.
It seams you are trying to put the tapped hole size and actual tap size on the same line. Personally I feel this is a really Bad idea, especially if you ever go global. The foreign machine shops will laugh at you. And most likely get it wrong.

ArtL,

Actually this is a common practice. I used to work contractually for a billion dollar corporation that was global. This to was their prefered method as well. And it is hard to get a company of that size to change their methods. They to this day still call out threaded holes like that. So I find it hard to believe that it is wrong. It may not be the prefered method for yourself and or corporation. But it does work that way.

But I am not one to argue. you certainly have years more experiance then I. But this is the method they have chosen and I was only looking for a little advice.

e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back