Thread class for Thread Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugeneva

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2002
SG
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows about which class of thread/plug gauge to use for parts which have been zinc plated ?

Thanks !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience plug gauges are manufactured specifically to allow for customer plating requirements.

For example, I have seen plug gauges which state "Pre plate" after the size e.g. M42 x 1.5-6H (pre plate).

I think you would need to advise the gauge manufacturer of your expected plating depth and he would produce the gauge accordingly.

When we machine parts with various types of plating we check with our plater to allow for the plating build up. You may want to send the gage to the plater with the parts and tell him to alloy for it. This can be a problem if you are plating to a Military spec because the plater is required to apply a specified thickness so you must allow for it.
Also some parts are hard to gage after plating because they are dry. Add light oil to gage b4 using.

Fulton Tool Co.
Pete Russell

Hello, gauge dimensions for coated part threads are based on gauge maker tolerances along with the coating thickness of the part. I carry a line of thread gauging call Northern Gauge in Canada; perhaps I can help supply you a gauge for your specific application.

Regards,

Peter Northern Gauge Sherwood Park Ab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back