Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thread Lube for rigid conduit in haz. loc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanH

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
When assembling rigid conduit in a Class I Division 1 location, is there a specific type of thread lubricant that's allowed or recommended? Or is there no rule either way?
Thanks,
Evan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been awhile, but on a refinery job we used a thread compound that seemed like a mixture of copper paste and regular pipe dope. It was actually bronze or copper colored. Sorry, but I don't remember the brand name.

Dogleg,
Is it fair to say, then, that a lubricant is allowed, but needs to maintain electrical continuity (for bonding, etc), whereas regular pipe dope could insulate the connection?

This has been covered before in this forum. If I could figure out how to post a link to an old thread I'd do that. But if you go use the search feature, you should be able to find it. I believe Crouse-Hinds makes a special product for just this purpose.

dpc,

If you can find the old thread you are talking about, look immediately below the thread title in bold blue letters at the top of the thread. In this thread you will see "thread248-129047". Cut & paste that into this thread and the TGML will activate the link for you.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Thanks, Scotty. I did try that, but link doesn't show up as activated when I preview it.

I'll try again: thread248-83944

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back