thread248-375754 Hello everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin V

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2024
SK
thread248-375754

Hello everyone. Have same issue. House structure is concrete, humms with or without floor,termostat, foil etc.
Same heatng foil installed 3km away with no sound. Im from Slovakia. Guy who did the job never experienced situation like this.
Did you solved this hum?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That was nearly 10 years ago. Various participants are no longer active on Eng-Tips, some deceased. Don’t hold your breath hoping for an update.

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

ala the referenced thread, my childhood toaster's heating elements hummed, as did the heating elements in several of my toaster ovens.

Obviously, the elements were only marginally constrained, since they needed to be able to move around from the thermal expansion.

How much power are you putting in when it hums?
Can you change the power level so that it doesn't hum?

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

'..Martin V (Mechanical)(OP)24 Sep 24 10:10
thread248-375754: Humming floor... House structure is concrete, humms with or without floor,termostat, foil etc'
I have the following suggestion for your consideration.
1. Try to pinpoint the spot where is having highest humming intensity. Suggestion: use a walking-stick placed closely to your ear and probe around the floor and walls.
2. Switch off the main power.
If the hum persists, it is NOT caused by electricity; but by others e.g. water pipe or gas pipe vibration, or from your neighbors near by.
3. Switch on one load at a time to observe which load/location which causes the hum.
Attention: the hum can be from some "defective" electrical appliances e.g. fridge, water heater, air-condition unit, electric clock, ceiling fans, light fittings and cooker/toaster etc.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

did all this before. Even plug the heating foil directly by an extension cord powered from my neighbour’s house. Tried a new foil with a different production year (same manufacturer). Village 3km away is powered by a different power plant and there is no problem at all.
3 electrician checked the house grounding (its a new house, 3y old)

What exactly, in detail, did you do before? Take your time, make a list. Check that the items on the list actually were done and include what the results were.

Also on the list, the voltage, frequency, and expected wattage of this system.

Is it connected through a metal switch?
Is there a rectifier between the heating and the local supplied power?
Is the power supplied by a company?
Is the power supplied through a bank of batteries and an inverter?
Is the power supplied through a power transformer that is located inside the house?
Is the power supplied through a triac control?
Is there a catalog or data page describing the heater and the heater installation?

220-240V. Rith now iam trying to figure out, if its possible to drop the voltage, by regulator.
Got discussion today with my friend elwcteician, that rectifier, voltage filter might help.

—————

Im comparing to same foil and same flooring. Did by same person. Same manufacturer.

Martin, we don't have underfloor heating in my part of the world, but given that you are fairly certain that the sound is emanating from the heating wiring, then the hum is probably the result of magnetic forces on the wiring that are not satisfactorily restrained. May I suggest downloading an Apple or Android sound analyser app (eg. Spectroid, Advanced Spectrum Analyser) to determine the frequency of the hum. This will indicate whether the noise is mains frequency (50Hz in EU), or a higher frequency harmonic.

If mains frequency, then you could check the heater manufacturer's instructions as to whether the wiring needs to be laid out differently or bonded/embedded to minimise movement/hum.

Alternatively, if a harmonic is the source of the problem, it may be that some local switched mode equipment (eg. solar inverter) could be introducing harmonics. As others have suggested, selectively deenergising possible noisy devices might help isolate the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back