Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

thread408-150872 O boy! I have bee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marq1963

Industrial
Nov 22, 2019
CN
thread408-150872 O boy! I have been a gate valve design engineer for about 40 years. There is industry language that was created long ago. To try and make sense of it you need to have had people who initially came up with the vernacular of that time. Now: FYI, in the world of API 600 SPEC GATE VALVES you have standard ports that are considered full port as they are full based on their required port size. A full port API 600 gate is a full port in this instance. However, a full port API 600 WEDGE gate is not a Through conduit gate valve. The simple explanation is an API 600 GATE can not be pigged. It's not through conduit. It is full port based on the port opening. That has nothing to do with the conduit of the body. I have designed gates for hot tapping and they, are full port but they are not through conduit. The difference between a Hot tap gate and a full port api 600 wedge gate is the notches/ lugs on the seats some valves have by design. To use, an API wedge gate in full port tapping service you much machine off the notches / lugs on the seats in the valve. Not to create a through conduit, but to remove the seat notches so the flow and Reynolds number remain low. The notches are what are used to screw in the seats of some designs. Some designs do not have these notches. The problems I see most technicians have here is, they are dealing with at least 3 different industries terminology to try and figure out the answer to a question that only applies to one industry. As to hot tapping, ball valves full or reduced port are not suitable as they have soft seats. Hot tapping would require a metal seating, " SEATING " BALL VALVE. the metal seated api 600 wedge gate with the, seat lugs machined off is the best answer and most economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back