Threaded hole in a part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyRain

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2013
FR
Hi all,

I am really novice with SolidWorks, so please bear with me.
Using SolidWorks toolbox, we can use some standard screws in our design, is there any tool in Solidworks that can assist us in making the threaded hole in a part in such a way that it corresponds to the standard screw. I have already seen the hole wizard, using it we can only make the holes without the thread or we can show a cosmtic thread but we cannot make it. In other words, I would like to know how to make the thread that corresponds to this standard screw and can be assembled with it.

Thank you for any proposed solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are talking about making the hole with a helical thread you are asking for trouble. (You can make it with a helical feature, by the way.) However, there is rarely a reason to put this much detail into a model. It will consume a remarkable amount of computer processing time to regenerate, not to mention your time to model it.

The only time I model a helical thread is when it is molded into a part, usually a plastic or die cast part, and even then I keep it suppressed most of the time. I will unsuppress it for making images that need to display the thread or for sending the part for rapid prototyping.

DO Use the Hole Wizard for the threaded holes. I use the middle selection for the thread display (pilot hole modeled with dashed line representing major diameter). The drawings will show the proper hole callout, i.e., pilot hole size and depth and thread callout. For a custom shaft with male threads you should look into the Cosmetic Thread feature. It will give a similar appearance and callout information as the Hole Wizard.

- - -Updraft

In fact, I need to produce this helical thread which is surely molded into a part in order to receive the screw after rapid prototyping (using 3D printer). So, when using the cosmetic thread feature, this will only display the thread without making it? Is it right? So how the printer will take this helical thread into consideration?

What size thread are you dealing with?
If it's large, you may get away with 3D printing.
If it's small, ctopher's suggestions are good.

Whenever possible, I prefer to create a pocket for a hex nut and insert it after printing. This creates a much stronger connection.

We routinely 3D print threaded holes (down to around M4 or 5 as smallest) (usually larger). You will have to model the threads and allow a bit of extra clearance as the 3D printing process is not particularly precise.

I would like to thank you all for the valuable information you have shared.
The thread size is M7x.75 and that's why it may be difficult to hand tapping the threads (it depends on the plastic used in 3D printer, I have no idea about its properties). It is a good idea to create a pocket for a hex nut but I have to see how to ensure that the hex nut will not leave the pocket when the part turns upside down. Also, I will take the clearance and orientation-layering problems into consideration.

The most likely plastic would be ABS, in which case tapping the hole should be easy.

With regard to retaining a hex nut, it could be a friction fit in the pocket, or even bonded in place.

Can you post an image of the part, or the part itself?

Have you checked the thread standards? I've never heard of an M7 thread. M6? M8? Yes. M7? No. Maybe others have heard of it, but I have not in 30 years.

CorBlimeyLimey, I did not create my part. In fact, the purpose of my question is to get more information before creating it (to create it as properly as possible).
Jboggs, I have given this size according to my part dimensioning without taking into consideration the available standard threads. I thought that it would be simple if I use some standard screw if there is an automatic way to create its helical thread using SolidWorks (e.g. M8) but if there is nothing like that, I prefer to create M7 which is more appropriate for my part.

[tt] The thread size is M7x.75 and that's why it may be difficult to hand tapping the threads (it depends on the plastic used in 3D printer, I have no idea about its properties). It is a good idea to create a pocket for a hex nut but I have to see how to ensure that the hex nut will not leave the pocket when the part turns upside down. Also, I will take the clearance and orientation-layering problems into consideration.[/tt]

You can make the width of slot for the nut match the flats of the nut with a light press fit. Or change the direction of the nut insertion to be radial instead of axial, then press a dowel or use another method to block the radial retreat. Lots of ways to do it with 3d printing, though I find that the light press is the easiest if you have a good feel for your printer's abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back