Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threading Nitronic 60

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaciouS

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2011
US
Hi,

Background:
We have bushings and "extremely fine" (M3 x 0.2 mm pitch) adjuster-set screws used in kinematic mirror mounts for some of or optical systems. The bushings are made of brass and the adjuster screws are made of 303 stainless steel. We have some design concerns and one of them is the brass bushing and its wear characteristics. So I'm wondering if I could make a bushing made of Nitronic 60 instead of brass.

Question:
Does anyone know if you can thread a pitch as fine as 0.2 mm, within a diameter range of 3 mm to 5 mm (M3 x 0.2 - M5 x 0.2)?

Thanks,
Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't say I've tried it first hand but Nitronic 60 is quite tough to machine and those are some seriously small threads. I think it would lead to a lot of broken taps and gnashing of teeth. If you do try to tap the Nitronic 60 I would keep the tap drill to the high side to minimize the depth of cut the tap has to make. Generally, with these highly work-hardening alloys you want to be pretty aggressive with the speeds and feeds. Going at them slowly just hardens the work piece. However, I'm sure you can not get very aggressive with an M3 x 0.2 tap.

I would be more likely to try an electroless plating process such as nickel or nickel-cobalt, possibly with a bake (heat treatment) to give the brass surface better wear properties. How often do these screws get turned? 303 does not have very good wear properties either.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

dgallup thanks for replying,

First to answer your question, "How often do these screws get turned?"
These screws are not adjusted all that much when compared to a typical environment. However they do get adjustments when calibrating the optical sensor and the challenge for us is our sensors measure "marks" on a wafer at the nanometer level. So when we say we have "wobbly screw" issues, it's not on a common scale.

Because of our level of alignment specs, cost often takes a back seat (just fyi).

For Nitronic 60, have you considered alternative thread techniques other than using a tap?
Maybe “sinlge point” threading?
or
Maybe” thread ground”?

Thanks,
Sean

There's brass, and then there's brass.
Start at copper.org and see if you can find something that's available from your bushing supplier's bar supplier, and more in keeping with your requirements.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back