Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threading titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmike

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2006
Hi guys i am about to make a toolarm for a machine, and now i have a few questions. I have dia 14,4 mm round bars (6Al4V) which i want to thread (the outside), i was thinking M14x2. according to my machinist book the outside diameter before making the threads should be 13.8 mm. However i read since the titanium is very elastic the threads/diameter will be smaller than normal.

So what should i do, just leave it at 14.00mm or so before making the threads, or even bigger? Will that solve the problem? I want a relatively tight fit. I will attempt making these threads with a standard hss die in a manual lathe, i dont know if that will work out, but i hope so.

If i make threads with a carbide threadturning insert (secotools) in a cnc-machine, should i leave it at 13.8mm or bigger before making the threads?

What is a good cutting speed when turning titanium, i´ve read ~5-20m/min, high feed (how high?)and relatively deep cuts to avoid work hardening/plastic deformation, does that sound right?

/Mike W

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Metcut says 122-20 m/min with carbide tooling, first pass depth .5 mm last pass .013 mm. In the past I have always cut to size. Or back it off a bit and run one and check the pitch dia. Make the needed adjustments re-run the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back