Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

threads using ACAD2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. I just tried it and it works fine. The .dwg, .vlx, and .slb files were all in the same directory. Your problem may be you need to have the slb file in your search path.

Thanks CarlB: I type appload in command line and go to the folder where HELICAD.vlx and HELICAD.slb are stored I then choose file type .vlx and HELICAD.vlx appears and I load it successfully. When I try to load HELICAD.SLB, it is not recognized. .slb is not an option in "files of type..." box - I cannot load. When I type in Helicad, I get a message similar to what you are describing "HELICAD.SLB is not in your current autocad search path..." I assume Autocad 2000 does not recognize .slb files? Or am I off track on this? Can anything be done?

You don't need to separately load the slb file, the routine will find it *if* you first include the directory where the slb file is located in your search path. In menu, Tools>>Options>>Support File Search Path>>Add>>Browse (find folder)>>Apply

Thanks CarlB. I did what you said and got it to work. However, there is something else wrong because the solid it creates is terrible looking. I have now found about 4 different programs for generating these. One generates false minor diameters. One creates a shell of the thread (unsure how to fill to make a bolt. One creates bogus corrupt bolt solid. They all seem close, but???? I have seen many posts on this here and elsewhere, so I know it is a common request. Please let me know if you have heard of any others and used them with success.

Did you try typing "shade", or render to get it to look solid? I thought it looked pretty good - what doesn't look good to you?

Hello Carl...The thread I am trying is a 5/8-11 UNC. Try that one if you get a chance. The threads are broken into pieces. I tried a diffent thread and that looked OK. Neither 5/8 UNC or UNF appear to work properly.

You're right - the 5/8" diameters don't work right. You might contact the author and point that out, see if he/she will fix it. To get around it, maybe you could use a different diameter and scale the resulting solid.

I tried Helicad some time ago and found the same problems. At the time, I searched several forums and couldn't locate the author of the program. Aparently a lot of people have been trying to track down the author.
It is supposed to be distributed by an engineering company in Australia, but when I contacted them, they said they had never heard of the program and had nothing to do with it.
I would be intersted in either locating the author or even purchasing a licence "as is" because I have expired the trial period and can not use it any longer.
What happens in a situation like this where the author has disapeared, can the program be "hacked" to extend the trial period? I am not generally in favour of hacking, in fact, I would not know where to start, but this program seems to have died yet it is quite useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back