Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Threadtext.txt for internal threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjd

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2009
IE
I'm having a problem creating an internal thread. The hole cylinder is 0.4 inches diameter. Accoring to PipeThread.txt, the hole needs to be modelled on an internal minor diameter of .358 inches for a hole size of 0.405 Problem is Solid Edge rounds up to 2 places of decimal. If I set the hole diameter to 0.358, as per PipeThread.txt, Solid Edge kindly rounds this to 0.36. I then cannot create the thread as the hole size is not matching what is in PipeThread.txt Is there an overwrite to the rounding, or am I going about it all wrong? Any enlightenment would be helpful on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I've no problem with that. Setting the hole diameter to 0.358" then
only the display will show 0.36". Dimension the hole and it will
show 0.358". Now using the thread function it will show
1/8-27 NPSM. But why can't you use the hole function for this,
is the hole already created and only needs threading? When this
is the case and the hole has been created with the hole function
(not cutout) then simply edit the definition to set the correct
diameter and threaded and you're done (V20/SP15 in use)

dy

I'm actually threading cutouts, not holes. The hole feature just places a circle in the face, it doesn't let me resize the diameter/radius of the hole. I can at least do that with a cutout. Is there a way of placing a circle of a certain size using the holes command?

I haven't explored every button/command yet. I just found the buttom beside the Return button edits the hole and threads it as well. I'm learning as I go!
Thnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back