Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Three-Lifting Surface 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
A lot of discussion ensues when somebody brings up the topic of "canards", which invariably involves lousy stall characteristics, Mr. Rutan's designs, and landing speeds about 20 knots below Vne.
The solution seems to exist in one very unique Italian aircraft called the Piaggio Avanti which has 3-count-em-three lifting surfaces. The main wing has flaps. The forward wing has flaps, too. The tail wing has some kind of elevator-stabilator mechanism that I don't quite understand that controls pitch with and without flaps.
As far as I can tell, this is the only 3LS aircraft certified by the FAA.
Are there any others? Whenever I search the internet, all I get are wannabe designers' pipe dreams and scaled-down knock-off's.
Apart from its aerodynamic complexity, what hidden drawbacks might be in the design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually, Ritchie, while I hadn't considered a thousand seater to be the next logical design step for TLS, I had thought about a possible replacement for the C130 Hercules.

I leave the rest up to your imagination, but it seems something of a natural development.

Regards

John

Yea this thing was HUGE.

The cannards at the front had a span of 40m, with 80m span wings, and 80m long, 700 ton flying in the air, now i am all for natural progression and all that but hm kinda worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back