Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Three phase motor burns out every three years ? WHY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigj2

Industrial
May 22, 2003
US
I purchased a Rotary Vertical Blanchard Grinder that has a 50 H.P motor that was originally wound for 3 phase and 50 hertz. I was told by the seller that I can run it at 60 hertz 3 phase without any problems. Over the last 6 years, I had the motor rewound two times and it costs thousands to rewind it, now it burned up again. The motor is an intregal part of the machine and can not be replaced with a new 60 hertz type. What can I do to prolong the life of the motor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestion to jOmega (Electrical) Dec 6, 2003 marked ///\\So, JB, perhaps you'd like to suggest a methodology to use to perform such analysis ... rather than to just throw our such a statement without foundation or without sufficient explication that would make it useful.
///I beg your pardon Sir, this is the eng-tips Forum only, not to be confused with an Ivy League University site for students who pay in excess of $30000 per academic year. I do volunteer my posting and time. Therefore, I consider your comment inappropriate.\\
Not saying you are incorrect, Joseph, but you really do need to provide more information so that those who are not familiar with such consideration will be able to relate to your statement, understand what you mean, and have some guidance as to how to perform such an analysis.
///How is one supposed to know a priory? Some other discipline engineers are more familiar with electrical engineering than many electrical engineers.\\
Otherwise, Joseph, the statement in and of itself, provides no useful information and is hardly worthy of any consideration.
///I did not say that it did. But, it is a start.\\
Kind of like telling a starving man to eat something ... without providing him any food.
///Of course Sir, everyone is entitled to ones own opinion.\
You leave him with an empty stomach.

///It would be better if you contribute, rather than consistently criticized those who volunteer time and postings. Your postings of this nature are just wasting space and making threads harder to follow.\\
jO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back