Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Three plate girders-Max. fillet weld size 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvipin

Structural
Sep 8, 2001
IN
In designing three plate built up girders are there any guidelines for restricting the maximum leg size of the flange to web fillet weld?The larger the weld size the more difficult it becomes for controlling distortion. The fillet weld is continuous and on both sides. I am looking for rules like "if the web size is 10mm. then the max. weld size shoudld not exceed-----?"

Any codes, papers or practical help!

Regards

V.V.Vipin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes there are. For example in spanish code NBE EA-95 presently vigent for steel structures table 5.2.3.A lists maximum and minimum values of throat (derive multiplying ·sqrt(2) leg size for orthogonal welds) for fillet welds depending upon thicknesses of parts being joined. Not complete for jumbo plate (goes to 36 mm plate thicknesses) but good for common and proportional or so sizes can be inferred for thicker.

US minimum size limits upon thickness I have for example in Table 2.17 of Gaylord, Gaylord and Stallmeyer's Design of steel structures 3d ed, p. 85. Other codes (AWS?)may be providing the maximum value you are searching for.

From the ref above GGS maximum size of fillet weld per AWS along edges of material 1/4 in or more thick is 1/16 in less than the thickness, and even the thickness is permitted if required by strength.

For material less than 1/4 in thick, the thickness is the maximum size.

I would simply call one of my local steel fabricators and speak to one of their engineers or welding superintendants. They usually have a wealth of experience in these matters.

I agree with JAE, call the local fabricator. In the end he's the one who will have to deal with it. Also keep in mind that some welding features are also constrained by inspection methods. And the larger the weld the less can be discerned in earlier weld passes. Anyway, you might wish to bring this up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back