Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

thru face does not intersect path of the tool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCMartist

Marine/Ocean
Jun 20, 2006
FR
hello,

I'm a yacht designer in Europe. I use a lot the Through Curve Mesh for the tangency constraints it can provide. When I want to unite two bodies coming from an extrusion of two TCM which are both tangent to themselves, I (nearly) constantly get that message :

"thru face does not intersect path of the tool"

the only way I manage to achieve my unite operation is to make a very small offset of one of the surfaces, but that's not satisfying.
I could also use the "sew" feature, but that means a lot of changes in my model.

does anyone knows how to get a neat tangency edge for those unites?

thanks a lot for your advices

TP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A picture would be worth a thousand words in this case, but off the top of my head, I'd say you should probably sew the surfaces together rather than trying to make a solid so soon. One other option might be to use the TCM surfaces to trim away a larger solid.

Hard to give advice when we have no idea what anything looks like.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I also use Through Curve Meshes and have encountered the same message. Likewise, my fix was also to offset a surface or if creating an extrusion from the surface, change the start from 0.0000 to -0.0005. That usually works.

If you get a real solution, please post.

Thanks.

hello,

sorry for the late reaction, I was away the last days.
I don't know if there is a particular way to post picture on the site, so I do it using links (they stay 21 days).

on the picture 1 , you see I want to unite the orange body to the blue one. if I try I get the famous message :
"thru face does not intersect path of the tool".

so as rghay, I do an offset of 0.01 mm(picture 2) , but the result is not satisfactory (picture 3)
I think the solution suggested by nkwheelguy is probably a good one, but that involved major changes to the topology of my model.

regards.

I cannot see the entirety of the orange body....is it a solid or a sheet (surface)? If the orange body is a sheet, it won't unite...you will have to use patch to add a sheet to an existing solid, but the patched sheet MUST enclose a volume...it cannot have any open sides. You cannot Boolean (unite, subtract, intersect) sheets and solids in NX.

Also note that the orange surface does not completely cover the aquamarine surface on the lower side...this could also be causing the issue. The orange body looks to be nothing more than a fancy blend....so use your blend tools.

I'd strongly suggest extracting the edges of the orange body that lie on along the aquamarine body. Extend the curves so they are longer than the aquamarine body, then project them onto the aquamarine surfaces and use those projected curves as tangent hold lines for either a Face Blend or a Soft Blend.

If you have to, post your model somewhere so we can play around with it.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

hello Tim, and thanks for your answer.

the orange body is a solid, if it looks as it does not completely cover the aquamarine body, it's just because of the display on the screen.

As descibed in a previous post, that orange body has been built using a TCM (in fact 2, sewed together)with projected curves on the aquamarine body as strings, and tangency constraints G1. the crosses are bridge curves. it was then extruded in Z direction, going up to the top surface of the aquamarine body.

I have been trying the blend, but only the edge blend, and that create rather weird surfaces. I have to export (through IGES or STEP) my models to other softwares, such as Catia, and the edge blend there makes a lot of very small surfaces, using the TCM is much more neat.
I will then try the face and soft blend.

Dave.

Dave,

Another thing that has worked occasionally is to modify the extrude direction when making the solid from the surface. Instead of extruding in the Z direction, try extruding normal to the surface.

As nkwheelguy says, this looks like a blend surface. You should try using the 'soft blend' tool. Or even styled blend if you have a shape studio license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back