Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thrust Plate for a Stub Shaft Bearing Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastserv

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2005
US
Being in Plastics, but not in the Bearing world. What would be the best material for a thrust plate?

The stub shaft or axle passes through a Housed ball bearing and is spring loaded, having about 3/8"-1/2" travel and must have some minimum preload on the spring to hold the axle firmly as the housing rotates (approx.200 RPM) and contacts the spring.

We are talking about a 7/16" Dia. axle and probably a .625" I.D. compression spring about 1" long at the end. Firm attachment of the spring to the axle is not a problem. Therefore, the spring will remain fixed (in pre-load) and the housing will rotate rubbing against the spring.

Should I mold a small cap for the spring using possibly Delrin material and possibly use a flat copper washer as the plate? Placing a roller or ball thrust bearing is not practicle, and the less noise the better. Any suggestions?

Operating temperature will be between 50 and 80 Degrees F.

Thank you!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the bearing is a special 'X-type', even the stubbiest of stub shafts requires two bearings. You may not recognize the second object that's forced to act like a bearing until it fails. How long does the assembly have to function?

Helical springs don't 'push' on their centerline, even if you draw them that way.

Using a bearing housing as a rubbing surface is not generally good practice.

You need to get an experienced mechanical guy on the team, on site, now.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sorry, I left out needed information. The pre-load on the spring will be minimal, just so that it will not be loose, about 1MM. Expected life minimum 2 years. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back