Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tie rods/bars and lugs for axial restraint /support of a pipe joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbulldogio

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2010
GB
I am trying to locate any standards or guidelines that specify the parameters for the use of tie bars/rods and lugs to restrain a pipeline against axial forces at a joint.

I can size the tie rods ok, but it is the sizing of the lugs that is my main concern. It is for metallic pipe, of very thin wall section, so I am concerned about the possibility of the welded lugs tearing the pipe wall under pressure and axial load.

I have tried searching the internet but seem to draw a blank. I don't know if I am using the correct terminology in my searches.

Can any point me in the right direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B31.3 references the supports, hangers, rods design code. MSS something. Look in B31.3

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

Definitely read B31.3, ultimately the design of the pipe supports, anchors, etc. will be the result of stress analysis. You can always insert a larger schedule pipe if the analysis requires it. You may have to taper the transition by machining if the welds must be x-rayed as inspectors do not like to see discontinuities. "Doubler plate" reinforcement at the lugs may also work.

MSS does not address local stress in much detail if at all. You will probably want to start looking here:

WRC Bulletin 198
ASME Section III Div 1 Appendices Y-3000 and Y-5000.

WRC Bulletin 107/297 may help some as well, but they are usually adapted to Section VIII designs. If you go with WRC107/297 remember to consider ALL longitudinal stress in the pipe!

WRC198 is probably the most straightforward. WRC107 can be done by hand, but there's commercial software that speeds things up considerably. The Section III stuff is a real chore.

- Steve Perry
This post is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is offered with the understanding that the author is not engaged in rendering engineering or other professional service. If you need help, get help, and PAY FOR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back