Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiebeam Analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeedesign

Structural
Mar 15, 2012
BH
To all Designers,

Anybody can give information and references how to analyze TieBeams and what are the loads to be considered. Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Tie beam" can mean a few things. You'll likely need to elaborate. Are we talking about collectors for lateral loads? Grade beams between piles?

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I'll assume that we're discussing an interior tie beam rather than a perimeter grade beam. In seismic country, the axial force is usually a percentage of the axial force in the columns being tied.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Epic post. This forum is full of detail oriented individuals. If you want feedback you need to explain your question better. The best threads usually start with a well formulated problem and a list of specific questions.

Where I'm from, winter.

This post reminds me of when I was asked to do a quick foundation design for an MTO for an estimate. We were going to crib the design from a project on the west coast (high seismic). The foundation design had interior tie beams and I could not figure out what the purpose of these was until I dig some digging and found they were meant to tie everything together in an earthquake. If you don't know what they're for they sure seem confusing at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back