Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TIG welding 8620 chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjmorin

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2005
US
We have acquired a process that uses a dedicated TIG welding unit to butt(?)-weld 8620 steel chain links. We are experiencing early failure. Can anyone here school me on what a capable process for making good connecting links would look like?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the grade is SAE 8620, then welding problems will likely occur frequently. Have the links already been heat treated? Quenched and tempered? Carburized? Either is a problem, with the latter a serious one.

Most chain link welding that I have seen in the industry is done using the electric resistance process, not GTAW.

The chain industry has standards, you can Google this information.

Thanks for the quick responses!

This was my fear: that TIG was a bad call made by the folks from whom we bought this process. I know exactly jack about welding, I usually leave welding-spec calls to my fabricators, but in this case it's an in-house process that creates custom chain assemblies by linking several shorter 'stock' units.

I'll need to do some more digging to answer TVP's ???s.

-andy

This just in:

The links are purchased as cold-rolled wire bent into a 'C' shape, mechanically closed and manually TIG welded with filler-metal as recommended by the welding outfitter. They are getting 'porosity,' and failures at the proof-load. The chain (which determines the proof load: ~25,000 lbs iirc) is high-grade 1/2" chain of standard dimension, the links are of 5/8" diameter wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back