Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiltrotors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrenchCAD

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2002
BE
I just read an article about Bell/Augusta BA609 going to be tested in flight and V22 problems.

The tiltrotor technology is very impressive and I wanted to know what you think about it? Do you think we will achieve it? will the transition problems be solved?

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tilt rotor transition seems to be a fundamental problem, although extreme cyclic control could help. Sounds like it'll just end up with an extreme height-velocity curve for operation.

Given the problems with the tilt-rotor approach to high speed rotorcraft, are we likely to see a return of pusher props on rotorcraft? I'm thinking Cheyenne here.

This won't solve the VTS problem, since this is a fundamental fact of aircraft needing to find clean (i.e. static) air for flight. It does, however, allow optimisation of the rotor for various flight regimes, by allowing it to remain horizontal (or even a slight negative pitch) in high speed forward flight.

I'm curious about others views...

Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back