Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timber column repair with epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRivard

Structural
Mar 23, 2006
US
Gentlemen,
Does anyone have any information/experience with using epoxy putties and epoxy hardeners to repair structural wood/timber? I know there are a few companies out there that sell products which claim to be able to be used in this capacity, but I've never used or specified this type of repair before. So, I'm looking to see if anyone has information on building code approvals for these products, names of companies, and your general experience otherwise.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Rivard, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MiketheEngineer,
The column bases rest directly on the concrete slab, which you can imagine have varying degrees of decay. There's no evidence of the posts crushing, so they can obviously carry what they need to. However, without removing the lower portion of the columns, there's really no way to assess the actual damage.

I've checked with a couple manufacturers and only one has any type of strength characteristics that I could use, but neither of the two have an ICC report for their product.

The lack of information is what led me here...

Regards,
Steve Rivard, PE

steve,

There might be a way to replace the bottom part of the column if it is very bad.

I the attached PDF pictures I have used epoxy to latch a steel channel to the sides of a 14"x14" wood column to be able to cut the column at the floor below and install a transfer system.

I have done that project back in 1995, I used Grace products for the epoxy bond between the wood and steel. Everything went well on that, that was the only time I ever used epoxy with wood.

I would guess that if your wood has many checks in it would depend on the size of crack for using specific material, larger cracks require larger grain epoxy products and fine cracks can use the same. product I used on the 1995 project.

Again, try to replace the column base if it is in a bad shape.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a8912bd2-6c68-4c4e-aff5-8616d44ca4e3&file=Wood_Epoxy.pdf
I repaired the large 3 pin arch frames for the small town, Ontario arena. They had been partially enclosed with masonry walls and water had been trapped and dry rot (Brown Rot) had set in. I asked the maintenance guy to remove deteriorated material and suggested he use a wire brush in a drill and that he get the brush from an autobody supply shop. Next I know he has removed approximately 75% of the material contained by the shoe.

The trusses were fabricated from dimension lumber laminated and nailed with what appeared to be about 8" Ardox (1/8" dia type twisted shaft). To reinforce the shoe area, it was necessary to drill 1" dia holes approx 3' long through 'nail' infested material (nails were at about a 2" pattern). A machine shop welded a shaft to a drill bit and cobbled together a 4' long drill that could drill through both the wood and nails. The shoe was filled with a sand-epoxy material and 2 25M rebars were epoxied into the holes drilled through the base of the arch into the shoe area (hole was about 3.5' long). Two rebar dowels were placed into each shoe. The detail of the masonry wall was fixed and I assume they are still in operation.

It was an application of some work that I did on teeth about 40 years back and worked well.

I have had luck by cleaing the area with Clorox or other similiar material. This should kill the decay. Let it dry well. Then inject epoxy or or non - shrinking grout underneath.

Then reinforce the area with "decorative" side pieces that will also carry most of the load.

Just a thought.

MTE... you have to be careful with using bleach with some fungi. Bleaches can create a toxic protein residue with some fungi. CMHC in Canada also recommends against using it.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back