Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

timber fender for berthing dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.

irawanfirmansyah

Geotechnical
Apr 6, 2010
ID
For the design of berthing dolphins located in a river, the client request me to use timber fender. Is there any body can predict, how much is the fender can absorbed the berthing energy, or how many percent of the berthing energy will be transfered to the dolphin?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The determination of how much the fender can absorb would depend on the support conditions of the fender and the parameters of the timber being used. This is simple wood design.

As for energy transfer, you would need to provide us with more parameters to try to help you. What is the approach angle and velocity of the vessel? What type of vessel and what are the its parameters? Is this an assisted berthing or solo? If it is a solo berthing and the vessel hits it as a certain velocity, then all of the energy required to stop the vessel will be transferred.

MarineConstruction:
Vessel 8000 DWT barge, Assisted berthing, Approach angle 6 deg., Berthing vel 0.15 m/sec.
Iam thingking of using tree trunks of 10 - 20 cm diameter as fender, but Iam not really sure how they should be constructed to be effectively absorbed the berthing energy. I don't want to use timber pile fender, but just hanging the timber on the dolphin. E timber 1.5 10[sup]7[/sup] kN/m2.
I don't expect detail solution / answer, but just a rough estimation plus suggestion on how to construct effective timber fender. Tks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back