Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timber floor rating with steel plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

1437n6

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2007
US
There is a timber floor (3" thick by 6" wide)spanning 8' between support beams. There is 1" plank flooring running transverse to the 3" timbers. How do I calculate the available floor loading, accounting for the 1" transverse plank flooring.

I have the same question for a 3"x6" timber floor with 1/4" steel plating on top. What is the available floor loading.

I can calculate the available loading of the 3"x6" timber, but not sure how the plank floor and steel plate distributes the load and should be calculated. I know this definitely increases the available loading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There would be a benefit only if the steel plate is sufficiently fastened to the timber to achieve composite action. I doubt that is the case. With the planks, the shrinkage gaps between the boards would preclude composite action. Consider the 1x planks and the steel plate to be just a wearing surface.

As hokie66 notes, don't consider composite action. Just take the reactions from the plate and apply to the joists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back