Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Timber Lagging Not Allowed by California Buidling Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuff213

Structural
Oct 30, 2009
US
Working on a project using drilled concrete piles, with timber lagging initially proposed between the concrete piles to retain fill. However, I've been informed that there is some belief timber lagging is no longer allowed in the California Building Code.

Does anyone know if this is true? And if it is/isn't, do you have any information where this is located in the building code? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some Cities like Los Gatos, CA does not allow timber retaining wall and also timber lagging for permanent shoring. However, while driving between projects, I have seen many timber lagging walls in the Bay area. Check whith the City or County where your project is located. I don't believe there is a Statewide ban.

No statewide ban on the use of wood lagging in temporary construction. Some codes though like LA City will require that the wood lagging be treated when abandoned in place. Liked Fixed Earth indicated, check with the city official.

I would shotcrete a slab between the piles, using the lagging as a backform. Don't forget waterproof and drainage details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back