Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timber Pile Uplift Anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngolfer

Structural
Mar 3, 2008
US
Does anyone have a timber pile uplift anchor they are comfortable with?

I have a project in Mobile, AL, that is in bad upper soils. The geotech recommended timber driven piles and gave me pile lengths/sizes with allowable compression and tension capacities. Because of the high wind zone and the 1 story wood construction, I am getting uplift in the ends of my shear walls.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As SlideRuleEra says, I would construct a steel cap with sidewalls to thru-bolt thru the pile, and provide a horizontal steel plate welding surface on the top to weld rebar to to develop the uplift to the piling. The steel cap would need a minimum 3" cover of concrete provided by the pilecap, so the pile embed into the pilecap may have to be 12" or greater depending on the vertical length of the steel cap side plates.

Vertically lag screws into the endgrain of the piling are a no-no. Nix, Nyette... You must bolt through the side.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Thanks for the replies.

SlideRule, I used the cleveland product as a starting point. I didn't particularly like the bent plate connection for the same reason as J and L bolts are being phased out. I decided to go with my own connection and bend a gage strap into an inverted "U" shape and connect it to the top of the pile with through bolts.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back