Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time and Date stamp in WinCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritzfrederix

Chemical
May 28, 2003
US
Hi there,

Does anybody know what kind of datatype I should use in WinCC for inputting and outputting time and date values. For the date part I use an Active-X.
I need to transfer that data to an SQL server which needs the datatype Time/date stamp.
Or is there another way that my SQL server recognises my data.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Fritzfrederix,
Could you pls explain the role of WinCC here? Should it submit the data to a database running on separate server?

And what date and time is it about? Simply system time of machine on which WinCC is running, or timestamp when a tag was updated, or something else?

Dear ipupkin,

I'm using WinCC (rel.6.0) to transfer data form WinCC to a SQL Server 2000 on a different computer over the network.
Some data can be inputted by an operator and other data is comming out of a PLC (Siemens S7-300).
We are producing Bales, the operators need to input the start date/time of the making of the bale and when the bale is finished they need to give in the end date/time.
WinCC doesn't support date/time stamps. So I send numeric data,which represents date/time, into a SQL and he needs to recognises it as date/time stamp.

Rudi

Dear Rudi,

I'm absolutely agree that built-in timestamp datatype should be avoided. One vendor may use 1/jan/1900 as start point, another vendor - year 1980, this is too dependent.

I would transfer towards SQL server something like YyyyMmDdHhMmSs string. Almost sure MS SQL Server should be able to convert this into datetimestamp "on the fly".

Here's suitable forum to ask how to make MS SQL Server do this, I guess:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back