Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time-History Verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfosterwsu

Structural
Oct 29, 2012
US
I'm modeling a 6 story building that I hope to verify against actual test data.

All preliminary tests are conclusive but I am unable to include dead load within my time-history analysis. My base reaction (Z) for static dead load case is 810kips. My base reaction (Z) for my time-history acceleration load case is 0.165 kips.

I'm running a time-history function of base accelerations using non-linear, direct integration and p-delta. My time integration method is Hibler-Hughes- Taylor with an Alpha factor of -0.33. Mass and stiffness proportional damping is 0.5%. I've run nearly all related parameters and still cannot get my time-history acceleration load case to show any significant change in Base Reaction (Z).

I've done runs with:
Load Pattern self-weight multiplier is set for 1.0 or 0 on the two load cases (Dead and ACC)
Frame gravity multiplier set to 1.0 or 0 on both Load Patterns

I've done all combinations of these runs to no avail as well as defining mass source to the load patterns.

I have also given my Dead load case a non linear direct integration function and applied it with my Acceleration Case. Once again, I cannot activate the dead load in my acceleration cases.

Could I be reading the output Base Reactions table wrong? Dead Load, according to the table, is spot on (within a few hundred pounds of the actual test building).

Any advise/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tyler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello tfosterwsu
Your problem is incomprehensible
If you joint your sap file maybe will help engineers to detect what's wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back