Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Time interval for measuring transients in SCADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

1capybara

Industrial
Aug 3, 2008
GB
We have a problem with relays tripping at our power plant.
We believe it may be due to transients but need to make accurate measurements to be sure.
Our current SCADA software (Siemens WinCC) measures 16 points at our power plant, every 500 milliseconds.
I asked the SCADA "expert" why we cant speed-up the measuring intervals to 1 wave for example (20 milliseconds at Hz=50).
He said that impossible because:
"There is not any defined time duration. System reads the data sequentially. It reads the first point,
then reads the second point, etc. it returns to the start point after last point read.
It looks, this sequence takes approx. 500 milliseconds and you cannot change it."
Im not sure if this is software limitation (Siemens WinCC) or of our sensors?
But I believe we can't measure and track down transients accurately with a 500 milliseconds measuring interval.
Agreed?
And what can we do about?
Do we need to change the sensors and/or the software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Are yours relays, IED ( i.e. numerical) ? In this case, the best way forward to get use the relays records ( i.e. COMTRADE) for further analysis. such records samples at ( typical values) 20 to 50 samples /cycle.
the outstanding issue will be whether you will be able to (automatiquely) collect the files from relays to SCADA

ZapSib, what is COMTRADE? I googled it, nothing seems to relate to electricity ??? Comtradesoftware.com seems like an IT system, or maybe I mis-understand ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back