Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Time Recording and Entry into MSProject

Status
Not open for further replies.

sptubby

Computer
Jan 3, 2008
GB
What is the best way to track, capture and input hours work, %complete and optional revised end date into MSProject?

I am looking to improve the process by which my clients track progress against the plan - most are SME's using MSproject 2003 rather than Project Server/EPM at present.

Currently I export MSProject data (tasks, scheduled start and end dates plus work) for each resource into a separate Excel worksheet, add columns for days of week and circulate them as soft copy timesheets. Upon return, we import manually into MSProject.

Are there any tools and workflow that provide an off the shelf solution? I recently attended a Microsft EPM training course only to find that the timesheet option doesn't update the project plan....

Thx in advance

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nothing obvious comes to mind, but seems to me that you'd need to use VBA for that. You might start by seeing if some nice person has posted a similar application on the web.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

If you are using MAPI compliant email such as outlook you can install and use the MSP workgroup feature. With this you can send out a timesheet from Project to resources via email and they can reply with updates of work complete, outstanding etc. This can be checked by the PM and then imported directly into project. No Manual entry required.

Anyway if I have understood you correctly take a look at these links for further info.

8eba-4025b8976c18&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

The easiest way to create resource work sheets is to use the resource usage view. Copy the view into another view (differnt name) then Insert, page break between each resource so you get one page per resource. then on the right side of the view right click and add the field of actual work. Use the zoom to get to the right timeline for the report - maybe per week, per day. You might also go into File, print setup and put headings and date on the report. Now you will have a report per resource that you can distribute. Let me know if you have trouble with doing this and need more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back