Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to install dam plate in channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinLe

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2012
DE
I have the following situation:

I have 2 short piecees of open channel that I want to install valves and dam panales in. I can only take the channel out of comission for 6 hours. this is one channel that splits to deliver the water to two sieves, then reunites. Each branch has a valve at both ends, however I need a double barrier to perform work in the channel. So I want to install guidings for dam plates in addition to the existing valves, so I can take one channel out of comission without touching the other one.

The channels are H x W ~ 1.3 x 1.5 m, concrete. Medium is raw municipal wastewater.

I'm trying to understand how much a team can do in those 6 hours and if there's major problem with the time.

My thinking is, in those 6 h the installers have to do the following:

Empty channel (can be done ahead of time by closing one channel branch and dropping pump inside)
Clean working area
option a:
drill holes in channel wall
bolt sliding frame for dam plate onto wall
apply caulking​
option b:
cut slit down channel walls
insert sliding frame for dam plate into slits
grout frame​

I have no feel for how long caulking (if this is the term) applied around the frame will need to set before it may be submerged in water.

While option b is more charming because I don't loose a few cm channel width, I don't think the work can be done in such a short time. Am I wrong?

It would be preferable to install all 4 dam plate frames in one go, but this will ultimately depend on how many installers the contractor is willing to mobilize.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, the work and time required for the drilling & bolting method can be less than for the cutting method. You may work with the Contractor for the work detail to suit your time schedule.
Good luck.

As soon as i read what you were proposing my thoughts were on option a that it was probably achievable. But when i went onto option b i thought no way.
The caulking is the risk and i would suggest you may have a couple of options there. Without knowing anything about your channels you may be able to install something between the wall and the metal gate your are bolting on., which can do most of the sealing work. If its possible to get another 6 hour window in the future you might just bolt the frame in now and if pushed for time put the sealant in later.
There are some pretty good rapid setting caulking/sealing compounds on the market.

The other thing you need to think about is how you are bolting this in. If you are you using chemical fasteners, how long do they require?

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

I've reached out to suppliers, let'S see what they say.

FWIW, here's pics of the dam plate frames:

and:
long pdf, pic I mean is on pg. 93
Without really thinking about it, I had this idea that you'd have a frame as one solid piece that you bolt into place and the apply grout for tightness. Appears I'm wrong, the frame will be delivered in pieces meaning you have some fine work, adjusting etc. to do.

Edit to add:
I'd still very much like to hear from people who did or oversaw such work themselves!
Cant be the first to install dam plates under time contraints ...

caulk can easily take 24 hours to cure, and in a humid environment, even longer. you might try hydrophilic waterstop instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back