Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

time to move now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerKr

Structural
May 23, 2006
SE
this has sort of been covered in the "to switch or not to switch" thread, at least partially.
I'm currently working as a designer for a large company and have gotten pretty good at designing plastic components. I've been there for a while and it used to be a stable place except now HQ has stated that R&D should be concentrated abroad. Seems like a rushed decision and for some reason negotiations have been slow to start. The possibility for "special products" are there but nothing concrete has appeared and without those "special products" the department will be cut from 20 heads to 6 heads (possibly a couple more, 6 just doesn't seem enough even for product maintenance). Being possibly the strongest designer left right now (and the only designer who has worked in the laboratory and acquired the kind of product knowledge only laboratory testing can give you) I'm not sure what my chances are.

So of course I'm looking at my options. I have applied for a job as a designer at a small company. This company works with rather specific sheet metal components. My experience working with sheet metal is limited but I don't expect it to be much more difficult than designing plastics, mostly a matter of learning the limitations of the production machinery.

To complicate matters, when I started looking over my options I revisited the idea of becoming a high school teacher. I quite like the idea of teaching CAD, mechanical engineering and possibly math at this level. This does seem like an impossible option if I go with the small company as I would be one of only two designers in addition to being "the new guy". If I stay at my current job and am not laid off I expect I would be able to pull it off. The main problem is the time a student would have to spend in the real world, which is 5 + 5 + 10 weeks (the 3 periods being spread over the 5,5 years of school). There's also some uncertainty whether there will be any classes at all (last year they were cancelled at the nearest university for some reason, probably a lack of students).

What are your opinions? How hard is it to go from designing mainly plastic components to designing formed and welded sheet metal components and tooling? How about the teacher thing? What would you do?
My next step now of course is to sit down with my boss to discuss my situation and his view on this whole thing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, I see even CAD classes being removed from high schools... drafting as a skill isn't sexy anymore.

Of course, having your drafting teacher kill his wife doesn't exactly engender security in the teacher's lounge...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Before going a different field, check the demand for the person so trained. Teaching jobs are in demand especially when the teacher's union is strong. Thus, many applicants in some states. No discipline another factor.

there does seem to be a lack of high-school teachers in engineering and it does look like it's going to get worse. I guess most engineers don't find teaching to be sexy enough and most would-be engineers consider the education for teachers to be full of nonsense. then again, these jobs are rarely posted so I'm not sure how they manage to recruit or even if they need to recruit.

I think it really depends on how willing you are to relocate (at your expense for the teaching most likely). The area I just moved to has a heavy influence from large companies like Kohler, Oshkosh Corporation, Gardner Denver, Etc... Because of this, the local high schools all have several classes on basic and advanced drafting / modeling. They all teach Solidworks and show the kids how to be strong designers prior to entering the collegiate world, or even the working world.

I've also been shown how there are several charter schools that have a lot of influence in the engineering and drafting world, and they all need qualified teachers. You may, yourself have to go back to school for a short time, to obtain your teaching certificate, depending on the state you want to work in.

I know a guy right now that teaches drafting at the high school level, and he loves it. He also has his own consulting business, where he does some light design and development work during the school year, and then does it full time during the summer. The guy seems to be very happy in his life.

It all depends on what you really want, and what will make you happy.

Definition of irony: A Ford Focus driver with ADD...

Hi

Well only you know what you really want to do in the future and you might not lose your current job but it's very wise to keep your options open.
When faced with a dilemma like yours I make out a list for each option, the list has two columns Advantages and Disadvantages and I write them all out filling each column, once that's complete I study to see what option has the best advantages and how many disadvantages, from this listing and personal desire to follow a particular route I make my choice.

Good luck

Desertfox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back