Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Time to open assembly files in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

aromech

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
US
I know there are a few general posts regarding Performance issues with 2004 but I have not seen any relating specifically to opening of assembly files, so here is one.

I have found that a 200-300 part assembly (simple machine, plates, holes, ect) in 2003 takes about 15 seconds to open and the same size file in 2004 takes over 1 minute (or longer) . This is quite frustrating for a small design shop that makes its living on efficiency.

Our machines are Dell Precision 450 (some dual) Xeon 3.06mhz L3 Cach, 1g ram, XP PRO, FX500 video, 7200rpm hd. I have spent lots of time tweaking XP for performance (no neat windows graphics any more) and to run in memory. Every thing is up to date regarding service packs, both xp and sw. They scream on the SPCapc benchmark getting a 1.52 overall rating.

Also the speed in which these files open is the same off the network as it is local, no difference, nada.

We have clicked just about every option check box individually and timed the changes with stopwatches getting only small results. I am leaning towards something in the part information (mass properties) or the new realview integration?

Does anyone have any ides what changed and what I can do to get my opening performance back.

Thanks
Fred

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You mentioned RealView. Thanks makes a HUGE performance impact. You might want to get rid of RealView during the design process.

Also just general assembly best practices:

Use sub assemblies
Use simplified part configs if possible
Load lightweight and load subassemblies fully that are being modified

Just a few things to consider

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,
Unfortunatly we allready have Real view turned off, but I am thinking that there is still somthing in the material properties (which we are not using in the initial design stage). The regular speed during design is great, but just opening and file size seems to be bigger.

Thanks
Fred

1) Are there any errors in the parts or assemblies? That will cause a slow down when opening the files.

2) Turn Hyperthreading off if you have it available on your computers.

3) Clean out your TEMP directory. C:\Documents and Settings\[log in name]\Local Settings\Temp
If you don't see the Local setting folder it is because it is hidden and you will have unhide it from the Tools\Folder Options\View (tab)\Show hidden files and folders

4) Working over a network - Try working locally

Try these and let us know if it helps or not (If you haven't already)

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

There's another thing that slows down retrieving and saving: CosmosWorks.

If you are not using SW to make FEA, turn off the Add-in, specialy in models that where already analysed. In those cases, when SW open the file, all CW information is also retrieved. For more complex analysis, the time to retrieve CW information increases. The same for saving. This is very annoying when you need to make changes in your model after analysis. The best way is to turn off the add-in untill you need to perform more analysis.

Regards

Have you converted the files to 2004 format? Files from previous versions must undergo the conversion when being opened for the first time in 2004.

Jason Capriotti
ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Gildashard has a good point. Often we forget and only save the parts we actually edit, rather than letting it save everything to the new rev. I've caught myself doing that occasionally.

I was - and he did. So at least I didn't get coal.....
OK, OK, It's a reference to my holiday sig. "Be naughty - Save Santa a trip..."

Thanks for the replies.
Fortunately, or unfortunately I have allready tried all of these suggestions, which did all increase performance. Including turning off Photoworks 2. This was a HUGE memory/speed hog so make sure ALL add ins that you are not using are turned off.

Also we have new 300+ component machines that have been created in 2004 sp2 with the same results. And actually here are some of our shop requirements our guys follow for SW practices.

1) No errors ever!!! Including Contoured product surface geometry used in a machine fixture this must be repaired.
2) ALL parts must be locked down no + or – in front of anything (except the occasional shaft or round part.
3) TEMP directory gets cleaned every day (or twice sometimes) including a disk clean up.
4) Sub assembly, Sub assembly, Sub assembly.
5) No flexible assemblies unless absolutly required.

My designers keep telling me that our computers are really fast; it’s just this darn opening time that bugs me. I know it wasn’t like this in SW 2001 and not as bad in 2003.

Thanks
Again

Ok this is a really odd one now.

I ran the SPECapc Benchmark test for SW 2003 on my 2004 machines and guess what???

When the test was completed it prompted me with the option to change my settings back. I am not sure what settings, Registry, Solidworks, The temperature of my shower in the morning?? What?? So I did something so many people dream of doing but never take the step……..Live vicariously through me fella’s…….I clicked the NO button to keep the settings they changed for the test. Guess what… The files now open in ½ to ¼ the time they were. Back to the 2001 speed.

Now I just need to find out what those guys over at SPEC did to my computers, (yes I got carried away and did 2 just to prove my cavalier choices.

If any one knows tell me, otherwise I will let you know when I find out.

Fred

Hmmm... we're all ears when you find he answer.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

A hobbit's lifestyle sounds rather pleasant...... it's the hairy feet that turn me off.

Hey guys, I tried the benchmark as well. I didn't have the stunning success like aromech did, but I did notice the following file was installed along with the benchmark:
C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2003 Benchmark\SWXbenchmark Help.htm

From that file:

The following is a list of options set by the benchmark. Executing the registry file created by the Copy Options Wizard or by resetting the options using the Tools/Options menus can restore these options. The benchmark also stores the original user settings in the file userreg.dat. The benchmark will ask whether these settings should be restored on exit.

Set TipOfDay\ShowTipsAtStart = 0
Set ExtReferences \ Open Read-only = 0 (No)
Set ExtReferences \ Sync Refs = 0 (No)

Set Performance \ Autoload LightWeight Components = 1 (Yes)

Set Performance \ Autoload Components = 0 (No)

Set Performance \ Verify On Rebuild = 0 (No)
Set Regeneration \ Force Regen At Load = 1 (Yes)
Set General \ Maximize Documents On Open = 1 (Yes)

Set Performance \ Transparency Quality = 1 (Yes)
Set General \ Display grid plane when shaded = 1 (Yes)
Set General \ Ask Regen = 1 (Yes)
Set General \ Ask Load Context =1 (Yes)

Set ExtReferences \ Abort Read-only Refs = 1 Yes
Set General \ Ask Load Context = 0 (No)

Set General \ Ask Save Context = 0 (No)

Set General \ Interval for AutoSave = 0 (Off)

Set General \ Display Shadows In Shaded Mode = 0 (No)

Set Edges \ Show Anti Alias Shaded Edges = 1 (Yes)

Set Edges \ Show Shaded Edges = 1 (Yes)

Set General \ View Animation Speed = 0 (Off)

Set Performance \ Update mass properties while saving document = 0 (No)

Set Performance \ Auto Curvature Generation = 0 (Only on Demand)

Set Performance \ Check out-of-date lightweight components = 0 (Don't Check)

Set Performance \ Culling Level In Dynamic Mode = 0 (Off)

Set Performance \ EMD Save = 0 (Off)

Set Performance \ Large Assembly AutoSave = 0 (Off)

Set Performance \ EMD Faces = 0 (Off)

Set Performance \ EMD LODs = 0 (Off)

Set General \ Backup Copies = 0

Set General \ Ask Load Context Back Up = 1 (Yes)

Good luck!

Hey there;

I've been informed by Solidworks that there is a problem with the materials code.... causing loading problems and general slowdown. It's due to be fixed in 2004 SP2.4. I've been pulling out what's left of my hair, because of this lack of performance. You people should try assemblies with 2500+ parts in the assembly.... then make a drawing of it. 20 to 30 minute load time is the norm. MY ADVICE..... DON'T BOTHER WITH 2004. KEEP YOUR 2003 INSTALLED.

Thanks

Trapped in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back