Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreunig

Nuclear
Jul 14, 2016
US
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use 'Save as Draft' when sending emails with potential for controversy or offence. Read them back to yourself half an hour later, then send.

I could also use this feature for my tongue from time to time. ;-)

Say Yes to New Projects

But also learn when and how to say "No" to projects that don't really add value. Early on in my career I took on any project that was offered to me, much to my own detriment as I wasn't able to focus on what really mattered (both at work and with my family). Over time I learned how to be more discerning about what was being asked, and how to (diplomatically) say No to projects that were not worth the time or trouble.

I would suggest never using the Bcc... in emails. That was the policy at PPG Industries and I've found it to be an excellent policy. If you are not willing to be open and honest with all people, you have character problems. Not using the Bcc... forces you to think about what you are about to write and the circumstances surrounding it. I've seen Bcc... usage backfire on people, who thought it was the right thing to do. People can get caught up in their own drama using it and get caught up in thinking they're smart for using it. I don't even use it for personal emails. If you get caught using it, what does that say about you? How do you want to be regarding others versus how do you want them to think you are? Edit to insert Cicero: esse quam videri, (to be, rather than to seem to be). One is genuine while the other, possibly, deceptive. But, I'm a duck, so I've been told. [smile]

I would also suggest to take responsibility for your work and that of your team, if you have one. I've been in situations where taking responsibility for things that were obviously not mine helped stop complaining and started a good discussion on problem solving. Too few people today are willing to take responsibility even for their own actions let alone someone else's. Sometimes things don't work out the way we would all like. Being honest about those times is the best way to be and allows you to move on permanently, quickly. We have an obvious example of how poorly blame shifting and dishonesty works on the world stage now.

Don't establish a punitive environment because that invites negative trouble and instills fear, back biting, gossip, etc.

Establish a professional environment that encourages young engineers to take calculated risks and learn.

Good manners go a long way just like being polite does.

Treat people with respect and dignity by acknowledging their existence and humanity.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter

I'll disagree, Pam... Bcc should be an absolute REQUIREMENT for anyone sending bulk emails. The number of "Remove me from this email list!" chains that ran for hours is insane, bringing poorly-designed email servers to their knees.

There is a proper time and place for Bcc. I also suggest Bcc with my own email address. It's often easier to sort incoming emails than it is outgoing, so if I Bcc myself, it ends up in the Inbox, not just Sending.

Dan - Owner
URL]

I don't see that bcc, in of itself, is bad. As always, it's usually what you write that is the bad thing, not who you sent the email to.

In some cases, I bcc to internal recipients for external emails where the external person doesn't really need to know who else might be on the thread.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I wasn't thinking of bulk emails and Bcc.... The bulk of my experience has been in manufacturing plants and that's usually my frame of reference. Sorry for the confusion.

Differences abound but I still think, in non-bulk email, it is a good policy to let everyone know what is being written and by whom. It is unnerving to me to be in the Bcc... field because I would prefer the parties addressed in the email know I am in the communication chain, whether I belong there or not. It is rude, in my opinion, to communicate with a specific party and not let them know someone is lurking in the email chain. I've had that experience and was startled and felt betrayed, when I learned someone was in the Bcc... field. I had not written anything inappropriate but I thought the communication was private. That experience made me wary of any communication with that person.

To me, it's like repeating something in a private conversation that you know is private and the teller doesn't intend for you to spread but you do anyway. I was the brunt end of a situation like that. One engineer was leaving for another job and told his inner circle of men prior to telling management. The department gossip was one of those men. The department gossip told me behind my closed office door. Departing engineer saw this through the opera window on my office door and made an assumption, a correct assumption. So, when word got back to the departing engineer, from people outside of his inner circle, that he was departing, he assumed it was me spreading the word and lashed out at me to no end and did so in email. Needless to say, he did not like my response, which was factual and concise. I understood the sensitivity of the gossip's information and kept my mouth shut. Compromising someone gets you a bad reputation.

The departing engineer felt betrayed and was justified in his feeling because he had been betrayed and by at least two men in whom he confided. Gossip told me not to repeat the information, which was ironic to me. So he understood what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway. He had no compunction betraying the confidence of a man who considered him reputable, trustworthy, a colleague, and probably a friend.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter

Again, that's because the content of the information was sensitive; as I stated earlier, it is indeed the content of such transmittals, however they are actually propagated that are the culprits. In your specific example, this guy didn't lash out at his gossip, even though he saw the gossip talking to you, and obviously, he must have known the gossip was a gossip even before the incident. Clearly, bad judgement and bad acting for all those around you. Ultimately, it does boil down to judgement, and if one cannot adequately judge the sensitivity and criticality of the content of emails, then one should indeed refrain from using BCC, Reply All, and Forward. But, these are all simply the petards by which one hoists oneself, as one could avoid BCC by simply using Forward, and if one's judgement is faulty, the end result will be the same. Likewise, Reply All, is another way to hang yourself, particularly if you do silly things like badmouth customers or vendors and include them in the Reply All.

As a certain knight once said, "But, choose wisely."

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Be a great problem solver and it helps a lot to be able to articulate your talking points.

God made the integers, all else is the work of man. - Leopold Kroenecker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back