Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips for Handling Revision Control with Customer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
Does anyone have any advice for how to handle model revisions with a customer?

Our company only has one pro/e seat (for now) so we don't use Intralink. We're doing some design work with a company in Korea. Instead of having to learn all their drawing standards, they are doing the drawings for us.

So far, things are going smoothly. We've been making changes to the models, upload the file to our FTP server, and they download it in the morning (good for them as the changes are made overnight for them). They update their drawings if any of the changes need to be updated on the drawing.

Anyway, I'm just concerned that as we get farther along, how can we be sure that they are using the latest model versions? I'm just concerned that if we make a change, and they don't use the right model, that we will have problems when the parts go into production.

I thought about changing the file names every time (i.e. "partxyz-reva, partxyz-revb, etc.) But, I think that would create confusion with their drawing files.

What are some good solutions to this problem? Will I have problems if I have the customer upload the drawing files as well when they upload their models? Will I be able to save a copy of the drawing and model, make the necessary changes, and resave with a new name for both the model and the drawing (with some sort of indication of the revision in the file name)?

What other solutions would work well?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a simple enough solution - Only question is - is there any visible way to show what version of the model (in part or assembly mode) you're working on without having to dig into the parameters. I know it's easy enough to put a revision letter that takes the data from a parameter in the model file - but it'd be nice to see which revision the model is when just the model is opened up.

What would really be handy is to see the revision letter down in the corner of the screen (like when it tells you what simplified rep you have active). Is there any way to do such a thing?

I'll go ahead and answer my own question...

I created the Parameter "Revision" and set a letter to that parameter.

Then, I went ahead and created a note that references the revision parameter and attached that to the default coordinate system of the part. Now, I can see the part revision letter with the model.

You can do a few things.

First, always keep the ProE versions of each part/drawing. That is, don't purge them.

When a file is opened, select INFO > AUDIT TRAIL and see when the last save was made. It will show the user, hostname and date of changes and last save.

Also, make it a habit of creating PART or ASSEMBLY level NOTES. Save them as REV_# and add the description of changes or general notes there.
Just RMB click the part or assembll name in the model tree, and pick NOTE.

Hope this helps out.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back